Parent Meeting Minutes
January 8, 2007
Boy Scout Troop 174
Grace Lutheran Church
Yorktown Heights, NY
(NEED ATTENDANCE LIST)
Meeting chaired by Peter H., Committee Chairman.
Meeting was called to order about 7:40 p.m.
This is Mr. Jamie C.’s first Scoutmaster Report.
Future troop activities:
· Order of the Arrow election on February 5
· Webelos Klondike on February 10. Our troop will run the Kim’s Game station. This is a memory, strategy and teamwork game.
· Bowl-O-Ree on March 3
The new patrol meeting Lodge in Mr. Peter H.’s backyard was announced.
New staff announced:
· Mr. Bob A. Assistant Scoutmaster
· Mr. Dave Z. Assistant Scoutmaster
· Mr. Josh D. Assistant Scoutmaster
· Mr. Bob R. uniformed Committee Member
After discussion, the Committee voted and agreed to do the following 4 fundraisers. Money earned will be used to purchase camping gear for the troop, including lanterns and a coffee pot.
1. an Auction in the spring. Karen M. will be organizing the Auction, but she needs help. The Auction may include an auction of donated items, a silent auction, and/or a penny social. Donations will be needed. Donations must be new, slightly used, or refurbishable items, and/or donated talent or expertise. "Friends of Troop 174" are welcome. All unsold items must be removed after the sale by its donor. Theme baskets may be sold. Digital photos with a description of donated items may be put on a website in advance of the sale date. All items must adhere to the BSA policies, so no alcoholic beverages. Advertising will be done in the Church and in the Pennysaver.
2. Cookbook. Organized by Leland T. Please submit your recipes using the link on our troop’s website.
3. Script. Organized by Mrs. Jamie D. and Mrs. Rita S. Buy gift cards that may be used at stores and restaurants. Orders will be taken monthly.
4. Grow and sell pumpkins. Mrs. Eileen B. said the troop could plant pumpkins in one of their farm’s fields near Cobleskill, NY. It is about a 2 ½ hours drive north of Yorktown. A local farmer who is a professor at a nearby agricultural school will till the field to prepare the ground for planting, our scouts will plant the pumpkin seeds and return later in the growing season to take care of the growing pumpkins, and return to harvest the pumpkins. The pumpkins will be sold by the scouts during a “Pumpkin Harvest” at Grace Lutheran Church. In addition to selling the pumpkins, other fundraising activities will be done, possibly face painting, bobbing for apples, selling cider, etc.
The troop has reserved Wednesday afternoon from 3 to 6 pm at Grace Lutheran Church. This may be used for merit badge classes.
There will be a Council Klondike Preparation Meeting on Monday, January 15. All Klondike patrol attendees should attend.
The first Patrol Meeting led by Mr. Dave Z. and Mr. Bob A. will be on Tuesday, January 16 at Mr. Peter H.’s backyard shed. It is called the “Lodge”. Do not park near fire hydrant. You may park along Mr. H.’s fence or along the road next to the park.
Mr. Chris L. will make a decision about whether the ice climbing trip on January 19-21 will be canceled or not on Friday. Hopefully there will be enough cold weather in the Lake Placid area to make the conditions good for ice climbing during our trip. Mr. Chris L. will be contacting everyone who signed up for this trip with an update. If the trip is canceled, we may go camping at Clear Lake Scout Reservation for the weekend.
The Council Klondike on January 26-28 has 16 scouts and 10 adults signed up. 14 are competing using 2 sleds. Arrive after 6pm on Friday or before 7 am on Saturday. Fee $5 youth day only or $10 adult day only. Deadline to pay is January 22. Mr. Jamie C. or Mr. Peter H. will have the security armbands and will hand them out at a location to be announced.
Mr. Brian B. and Mr. Michael S. will be our Scout Sunday chefs and will need help in the kitchen area during Scout Sunday on February 4. Adults who are available are asked to help.
Sign up immediately and pay as soon as possible for the Troop Ski Troop to Gore Mountain in the Adirondacks on February 23-25.
A Troop Swim Night will be scheduled this spring.
Other troop activities may be planned, such as a Gym Night and Indoor Climbing.
Adult volunteers and a coordinator are needed for Summer Camp 2007.
The meeting adjourned at approximately 9:00 p.m.
Our next Parent Meeting is scheduled for Monday, February 5, 2007 beginning at
7:30 p.m. at Grace Lutheran Church.
Respectfully submitted by Mrs. Margaret L., Committee Member